Saturday, August 8, 2009

Another Fun Day in the Market

Yesterday (Friday) was another fun day in the market. The jobs numbers were better than expected and absolutely ignited the futures in pre-market trading. The sellers just cannot keep this market down!

On the opening I bought back my position in the CME (at $276.07). I absolutely put my stop in the wrong place and got taken out of a good position too soon. Once I saw the futures skyrocket in the pre-market, I knew CME would have a good day.

I also have been a seller recently and have taken full or partial profits on a number of stocks such as Cisco (CSCO) Las Vegas Sands (LVS) and MGM. LVS and MGM had good days yesterday, so I wish I had cotinued to hold my full positions in both.

Lastly, I started a new type of trading yesterday (new for me anyway!). I have always been a swing trader, rather than a day trader. This has been due to restrictions placed on my account by my employers (I have almost always had to hold positions for at least 30 days). Since I am now unemployed, I have decided to paper trade much shorter term positions (true day trading) and have been happy with the results. So I went "live" yesterday with a trade in Dow 30 ETFs.

Shortly after the opening we got a clear double bottom in the Diamonds (DIA), so I went long the stock and held it until about 11:30, taking more than a $300 profit. Then I shut down my trading for the day to attend a family function in the afternoon. I will be back at this on Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment